Thursday, December 3, 2009

bang bang shoot

Instead of getting more work experience with a professional stylist, Eimear and I decided to style our own shoot! It was a very last minute affair, taking advantage of the free time the strike day gave us. We had to make do with what we had at hand... that being our own clothes as the wardrobe, Eimear's house as location, myself as model, Eimear as hair and makeup artist, and calling a favour on a friend for photography.



We had picked out a few locations around the house and garden, and I thought using the tiny shed that stored the boiler would be a good idea, if we brought out a lamp as a prop. So that set the scene for the first photograph.



But like I said, it was a shed and these old places always come with a few spiders... Most of them were dead so I played around with the cobwebs before Eimear came running out of the house with a big feather duster.


Then I got excited and started messing with our prop. Lampshade hats - hot for ss 2010 you heard it here first!!




I love this last photo, Declan was standing up on a stool looking down and I'm bending backwards. Although if you look at it sideways it sort of looks like I'm running out of a space tunnel or something


We used an awful lot of hairspray


Her house has one of those stairs that look like shelves, with holes between each step, so we hung a curtain up across them and tried to take pictures of me hanging down. They didn't turn out very well and we got frustrated from trying too hard. The first one (above) was the best and it was the third (out of what was to be over fifty) photo taken, and was an accident as Declan was just testing the flash at the time



That said, we decided to try less and go back to the shed




The flash is really harsh here but I like the 'deer in headlights' look


This was the easiest outfit to shoot. The width of the door was pretty much the width of the shed. It turned out well with the yellow tights picking up the yellow door.


I had brought this piece of netting to puff out the underneath of a dress but when Eimear was gone to make some more cups of tea I started messing putting it on my head to frighten her when she came back. But it looked so cool we decided to use it as an actual look.


The umbrella was originally brought outside for Eimear to hold over Declan's head as he needed to be outside the shed when taking the shot in order to fit the whole length of my body in, and it was raining and he couldn't get his camera wet. But the colours matched so I pulled it in for a minute to use as a prop


and lo and behold


Declan also likes editing so he did some things on his computer and turned some of the photos into these pop - art thingys. Which are spooky but fantastic nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you didn't say too much between the photos. When I'm looking at pictures I like to look at one after another after another without being halted by blocks of text.

    I love the boots.

    ReplyDelete