Friday, December 24, 2010

a double post

Last week we had TWO stitch and bitch gatherings... I know, we're totally wild! Our second was a special festive session and we'd all collected lots of toilet rolls during the week to make crackers. But then instead Elspeth made a mini toilet roll nativity set, with a mini Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes.
And wishing to have a nicely informed vocabulary, I asked what exactly are swaddling clothes? Well, we asked the dictionary the same and found that the verb 'to swaddle' means 'to wrap (a baby) in swaddling clothes'. Does somebody actually get paid to write these things? I am obvious. Give me money. Actually they are long strips of cloth wrapped around a newborn baby. So in an improvised arts and crafts nativity you could wrap long strips of cloth (toilet paper) around a new born baby (cardboard toilet roll) et voila you have a baby jesus (roll of toilet paper). Square one.
Ellen baked gingerbread for the tree, personalising one for each of us. Ruth got a Japanese conceptual artist gingerbaby and I got a hipster gingerboy. Here he is looking dapper with his cool fringe, crop top and trendy ankle boots... yum yum

Now we have post part two: what I did today, Christmas Eve. I became one of those plebian panickers running around town doing last minute power-shopping. I'd put off facing the crowds for so long that I failed to beat them and just had to bite the bullet and join them. But called Jack first to see if he might be around for eveningtime drinks somewhere, you know, something along the lines of cosy hot ports in an old man's pub. Instead, I had an early afternoon mcdonalds and then with a still-drunk-from-last-night sidekick, a much more fun trip to penneys than ever would have imagined possible.
This is my terrible drawing of his terrible state of being. I think I captured the misery and the gorging on greasy grub quite nicely, non? Ha ha quote unquote "I feel like it's 3am in the kebab house, that's how drunk I am right now".
And now we're back from mass I'm missing a seafood and whiskey party, instead putting in the obliged family time. Knitting and blogging because what do we have to watch on the television? The Late Late Show. I'm starting my own solo whiskey party right here right now. Wake me up on Boxing Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment