Tuesday, June 22, 2010

i've been carried along by a river

I recently paid a visit to Cork. Sunday evening saw us hungover with an hour to kill before it was time for me to get the bus back home so we decided to go and play dress up in Topshop. I put together three outfits for Jack, not that he'd ever actually wear any of them but shhh that wasn't the point...

And then this is what I was wearing that day. I had vowed I wouldn't spend a penny on clothes, that wasn't the point of my trip, but on our way to the Co-Op (most amazing vegetarian food mmmmm) we sort of found ourselves in a vintage shop... and I bought a shirt. But it was only three euro and has such a lovely print on the fabric, and I had only been saying how I'd love a Hawaiin shirt and the shape was sort of the same and yes these are all excuses for attempting to justify my breaking my word... I was also wearing my new favourite shoes. They're not brand new because my sister bought them last year in Toronto but they're too small for her now so they're all mine and I love how if I turn sideways when I'm wearing them it looks like I have mice on my feet!


In other news, if you're one of those people who have boxes filled with odd buttons, beads, single earrings and what have you, just because you know they're pretty and might just some day come in handy for something then you'll get this: there's a button exhibition on Paris right now (the Bismarck foundation centre, Avenue New York) *OOOOH... shiney.... but despite their being so small they're actually a really important part of certain things we wear, as they make it possible for us to wear them. We've come a long way from the cavemen using bones to hold their skins and furs together to being able to go to the effort of turning something so nondescript into something so detailed and decorative just to allow us to find the extraordinary in the commonplace.

These ones are a) from the 1940's for Elsa Schiaparelli, b) from the 1960's for Yves Saint Laurent and c) from the 1930's for Elsa Schiaparelli. Also, if you want to read a story that begins with buttons I'd recommend Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin.

No comments:

Post a Comment