Sunday, May 30, 2010

no elephants in this room

My last post has me still thinking about tribal patterns and until now I liked the marc by Marc Jacobs RTW Spring collection because of the big bows and the bright colours, but now I'm really noticing the range of patterns used and it's making me like it all the more. The collection actually does something quite spectacular in bringing African prints into the realm of 'trendy' and I think 'collection' is exactly the word for it, as he has brought together a host of geographical and historical features. He borrows ethnic patterns for his fabrics and vintage styles (and some of his own, already used ideas) for his designs which sounds like a recipe for disaster, but surprisingly the clash works really well






And in the spirit of this I decided today to wear a necklace I bought in London in January. I love the small animals, especially the elephant I wish I had another chain made just of elephants!



And if I were to expand my wardrobe by a few items then one of the first things I'd put on my shopping list would be this bag from Urban Outfitters, it's crazy cool! Next I'd order either these beads from Dannijo or perhaps a skirt from the People Tree. In general I think their clothes are suited to women a little older than me (yes my mum does like them!) but this skirt (right) is an exception as it's such a simple style, plus I like the pattern, plus I like what they do. People Tree is an ethical clothing company whose products are produced in developing countries in line with Fair Trade principles set out by the World Fair Trade Organisation. They use organic cotton and natural dyes and strive to keep environmental damage to a minimum by using recycled or biodegradable products where possible, whilst simultaneously improving the lives of a multitude of people as the work helps eleviate poverty in the communities where production is based. This skirt in particular is made from a handwoven cotton, and if I were wearing it for the summer I'd probably put it with a simple white cotton shirt and brown pair of gladiator sandals. Read their mission statement HERE to see what I mean about the good they do.

3 comments:

  1. oooh i love your necklace. it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that collection! So fun and wearable, but it's true what you say, he manages to take 'tribal' patterns and make them really cool and funky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love elephants! So the fact that you have an elephant necklace is amazing! Have always secretly wondered what it would be like to have a trunk...quite inconvient i suspect

    Love love love,

    Erin

    x

    ReplyDelete