Sunday, February 21, 2010

it's like a bounty

Like a bounty: when you think about it you should technically dislike it but at the same time you can't help but like it. Recently this is how I've come to think of clothes shops such as Urban Outfitters, somewhere that tries to mass produce an individual look. I don't know how their merchandise works, the designing or buying process behind it, but it seems to me that they raid the wardrobes of typical Lower East Side hipsters which have been formed over time through the raiding of Salvation Armys, small vintage shops, street sales and mixed with a bit of trendy high street like American Apparel, then take the contents to the factory and reproduce each item. So in theory I like this style, the general look of a poor art student who spends all their money on books and coffee, whose clothes (if they could speak) would have stories just as interesting to tell as the person wearing them. Now I can't say I dislike high street shops promoting this look because that's a ridiculously arrogant statment to make and would also be like saying I'm against most of the main shops out there, Topshop included. I just think dressing in a certain way should reflect the sort of person you are and this arty hipster style suits the sort of mildly eccentric individual and is put together in a more unintentional manner as they are simply drawn to scavanging and collecting, rather than your average girl with disposable income who can walk into their closest Urban Outfitters and replicate the look for ten times the price. This rant is supposed to be leading me on to Alexa Chung.

I do love her style. And were I to be asked if I had a style icon then no doubt her name would probably make it close to the top of my list. Which is why I'm between two minds as to her recently designed collection. I like the pieces and the general style but at the same time am hesitant to completely love it as I still hold my reservations regarding all the look alike copycats it will lead to...

She has designed a range for Madewell's Fall 2010 collection which features Alexa-inspired long sleeved dresses, peter pan collars, striped tshirts, high waisted shorts, sweeping knee length skirts. For the launch she wore a pair of black velvet high waisted shorts with a white safari shirt, and many of her friends modelled for the night includind Pixie Geldof and Poppy Delevegne. However, in an interview Chung herself said "It's actually a bit weird to see everyone walking around in the clothes today because they all look like me." Which is sort of the point I'm trying to make... What do you think? Do you like the collection?






1 comment:

  1. I think the collection is a bit basic and uninspiring. I do like the smocks with the peter pan collars and the way the cuffs on some of the blouses are tight. They help to make the piece look dainty. I also like the idea of chunky socks with sandals, but again this isn't very original.

    ReplyDelete