Saturday, August 21, 2010

crepe not crap

When we lived in New York Issy worked in a shop on Broadway called Canal Jeans. Yes it sold some denim and regular clothing on the ground floor, but the basement sold vintage clothes. She was always bringing home strangely hideous garments which, from many mindnumbing hours of boring retail work in this basement, she believed were nice enough to purchase. One day she came home with this pair of shorts that had once been a high-waisted pair of Lee jeans before somebody took their scissors to them. We called them the "pancake shorts" because when you put them on your bum was quite literally sucked in to look like a pancake when you turned sideways. Needless to say they were never worn... yet despite the unattractiveness they bestowed upon the wearer, I was always a little bit attracted to them and upon recently coming across them in a drawer I decided I was going to wear them because it seems that after their hibernation since we came back from NY their style has found its day and they are now sort of, well, cool.



And pancake or not I wore them with a cheap old tshirt from Penneys and my favourite old sandals from somewhere in London, which make my feet look like duck billed platypuses.
And in other news... HOLY SMOKES!!!! American Apparel might be closing down!!! Read THIS article which quote unquote explains how the company "may not have sufficient liquidity necessary to sustain operations for the next 12 months". I had better start shopping - quick! where's my credit card?!

2 comments:

  1. On the bright side it might possibly mean a SALE??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your outfit, it's very like Alexa Chung with her love of breton stripes

    ReplyDelete