Sunday, December 20, 2015

poh-tay-to , poh-tah-to




Vegetables. You wonderful herbaceous plants full of beautiful nutritional goodness, how I adore thee. You're best for eating but I know you're no one - trick ponies. No no you don't fool me, you useful little superstars I know you have many tricks up your sleeves.

I shall tell you what a magic show the vegetables and I performed together today. Turning the print room into a laboratory of culinary textile experimentation I extracted juices from various food stuffs, added combinations of mordants, and attempted to successfully dye sheets of flock. Flock is a term used for a textile process wherein sheets of densely packed short length fibres are transferred from their backing sheet onto the glue with which you have printed your fabric. Or, in this case, wall paper. Because the purpose of trying to achieve this particular colour palette in this particular way, using this particular technique, is that it is part of a commercial interiors competition I am working on.

Some of the colours, I would say, came out rather well.


No comments:

Post a Comment