Wednesday, November 9, 2011

mission accomplished


I should begin by explaining how a series of events came to pass...
I was on a bus. It was a long journey. The reading lights were broken. I was dismayed. The airconditioning was broken. I almost suffocated. These two elements combined led to the initiation of conversation between myself and my neighbouring passenger. Who turned out to be a very organised and motivated Occupational Therapist. I let slip how my life is a shambles. She recommended some books. I wrote a list. Soon thereafter an order of books was placed on Amazon.co.uk. The first of these books arrived a few days later. Entitled " How to Win Friends and Influence People" I'm surprised to see it every time I look at it. And all the more surprised to find myself transfixed with interest each time I read it. I probably shouldn't be giving away all me secrets, but we're here now so what the heck.
The principle of the chapter I'm currently reading is "arouse in the other person an eager want" because apparently in life the only way to influence people is to talk in terms of what the other person wants. I was going to talk about knitting and air my thoughts on Missoni's Womenswear AW11 collection before wondering if perhaps other people did not want to read about my opinions on yarns, textures or colour gradients. Because if nobody wanted to read about knitting then they wouldn't read my post. And where would the point be in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment