Sunday, February 27, 2011

You don't know what you've got til it's gone


Pavements and parking lots instead of cobblestones and fields... I'm not getting homesick but I think I'm noticing a lack of a few things I didn't realise I liked so much in my everyday life.

POTATOES!!!!! Ha ha only messing! Nah, the first thing I have missed is butter. MMmmm creamy salty fatty buttery butter; I was a veritable dairy fiend spreading the soft golden deliciousness on most foods and over here it's just not happening. And although the bread is like a hundred million times tastier I still can't help imagining how a bit of butter would make all the better.
And number two - my bicycle. I used to cycle absolutely everywhere and yes the metro is an excellent service and I've never waited more than 4 minutes for a train but I miss the independent feeling of getting myself directly from one destination to another, speeding along in the wind all by myself, legs and thoughts flying, without a thought of anything but on-coming traffic. I don't mind the crowds of people and being squished up between a business man reading the financial times on one side and a romanian rose seller on the other with one lady's handbag pushing into my lowerback and trying to avert my eyeline from staring at a handsome boy wondering if he's a homosexual or just immaculately groomed and well-dressed, by pretending to study the map of stops on the line... Oh boy I sure miss my bike. And the long lost days of unappreciated proximity of Dominic street to Salthill and the trivial drunken cycle homewards, for last night standing at 4am in the Bastille waiting for a night bus to come and take me on the 45 minute journey to Charles de Gaulle Etoile then with a 20 minute walk awaiting me upon my descent I was almost crying for my two wheeled wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment